Monday, 5 June 2017

(264) Abrahall of Ingestone House

Abrahall of Ingestone
This is the first of a small number of posts on families beginning with 'A' which I have overlooked in their proper place in the main alphabetical sequence.

The first of the Abrahalls to be associated with Foy was John Abrahall (d. 1443), who appears from surviving records to have been an unscrupulous and violent man in a hurry to acquire wealth and power. By 1413 he was in the service of Lord Furnival (later Lord Talbot and Earl of Shrewsbury), and by 1419 he had twice been accused of murder. He seems also to have used violent means to acquire landed property in and around Herefordshire; something which his appointment as the king's escheator for Herefordshire and adjacent parts of Wales in 1417-18 and 1439-40 can only have assisted. In 1423 he fell out with Lord Talbot and took up arms against him, reportedly assembling a thousand armed men and causing disturbances around Talbot's seat of Goodrich Castle. Between 1423 and 1427 he was pursued through the courts for these offences, but when he eventually gave himself up at the Marshalsea prison in 1427 and the case came to trial, it was dismissed for lack of impartial evidence. After that he seems to have kept a lower profile for a bit; official displeasure ensured his exclusion from official appointments for the next decade, although he was placed in some positions of private trust. In 1437, however, he was appointed as a justice of the peace and elected as one of the knights of the shire for Herefordshire. In 1439 he was made steward and receiver-general of Bronllys Castle and associated Bohun lands which were in dispute between the King and the Countess of Stafford. He also resumed amicable relations with Lord Talbot, who may have helped secure his return to Parliament in 1439 and 1442. By the time of his death in 1443, he held a large but scattered estate in southern Herefordshire, the centre of which was the manor house or castle of Eaton Tregoze at Foy, where he had a park of 1,000 acres. He died intestate, and was found to be heavily in debt to the Crown and others, and to have left his affairs in great confusion. His son and heir was a child, William Abrahall (1437-87), who was able to come into his inheritance only after extensive legal wrangling.

Eaton Tregoze remained the seat of the Abrahalls throughout the 15th and 16th centuries, passing from William (1437-87) to his son John (c.1465-1534), and then to the latter's son, John (b. c.1494), who died sometime after 1544. He married Anne, the daughter of Watkin Vaughan of Hargest, and it is their eldest son, John Abrahall (d. 1592) with whom the genealogy below begins.
Eaton Tregoze: the site of the castle or manor house probably lay at or between Hill of Eaton or Hole-in-the-Wall, possibly where the 1st edition OS map of 1887 marks a 'camp'.
Although Eaton Tregoze remained the family's chief seat, there is no evidence of its appearance, and indeed its very site is now uncertain. The most probable is perhaps a spur of land near the later farm 'Hill of Eaton', where the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map marks a 'camp' and which offers a good situation for a fortified house, although there is no sign of one ever existing. Another possible site is lower down, closer to the river, at Hole-in-the-Wall, where 19th century antiquaries reported seeing the remains of ancient buildings and where reused dressed stones have been reported 
more recently.

John Abrahall (d. 1592), who in 1573 was the first of his family to serve as High Sheriff of Herefordshire, was succeeded by his son John Abrahall (c.1546-1621), who married twice. His first wife, Frances, the daughter of Sir Thomas Parry of Hampstead Marshall (Berks) died within a few years of their marriage, probably in childbirth, leaving one son, John Abrahall (c.1570-1640). In 1615, Sir Thomas executed a settlement which left his grandson a half-share in the Hampstead Marshall estate, and after he died the following year, this took effect (although not without legal challenges).  It seems probable that it was this legacy which encouraged John to build a new manor house at Ingeston, north-east of the village of Foy (and just off the map above) that was begun in 1616, even though his father was still living and he had not come into his paternal inheritance. By 1618 John had sold his share in the Berkshire property, which would have realised a more than sufficient sum to pay for the new house.

The second marriage of John Abrahall (c.1546-1621) produced four further sons, and with his eldest son established in his new house at Ingestone, John divided most of his property between these younger sons. Eaton Tregoze passed to Paul Abrahall (c.1574-1654), who outlived his only son, and when he died it passed to the sons of his younger brother, Richard: the Rev. George Abrahall (1616-74), who was also vicar of Foy, may have been the last member of the family to live there.

John Abrahall (c.1570-1640) of Ingestone House died without issue, and left his estate to his half-brother, Gilbert Abrahall (b. c.1576), who is curiously invisible in the records. He died between 1640 and 1654, leaving an only son, John Abrahall (d. 1679), who was a major in the Royalist army during the Civil War. He in turn was succeeded by his eldest surviving son, John Abrahall (d. 1703) and grandson Markey Abrahall (1684-1716), one or other of whom probably laid out the formal garden at Ingestone of which some traces remain. Markey, who was High Sheriff of Herefordshire in 1705, died unmarried at the age of 32, and left the estate to his two sisters as co-heirs. The elder sister, Mary (1682-1718), the wife of Gilbert Abrahall (1670-1723) of Ross-on-Wye, gained possession of a moiety which included Ingestone House, but of their children only one daughter survived them, and she died in 1725. Mary had left a complex and rather confused will, under which her share of the Ingestone estate passed, after her daughter's death, to her sister Benedicta (1683-1742), whose second husband was John Abrahall (d. 1734) of Cradock (Herefs). However in 1754 the Rev. John Hoskyns, rector of Peterstow (Herefs), who had been named in Mary's will as the ultimate remainder man, was successful in a legal case against Benedicta's heirs which turned on the interpretation of the (possibly not very well drafted) will, and he obtained possession of Ingestone House and the associated lands. Hoskyns' connection to the Abrahalls was remarkably distant: his grandfather, Sir Bennet Hoskyns (d. 1680), 1st bt., had married the widow of John Abrahall (b. 1622), son of Paul Abrahall (c.1574-1654) of Eaton Tregoze, whose brother Gilbert (b. c.1576) had been Mary Abrahall's great-grandfather. Despite this distant connection, however, he was obliged by the terms of Mary's will to take the name Abrahall.

The Rev. John Hoskyns-Abrahall (1692-1765), as he became, was succeeded at Ingestone by his two elder sons in turn, and they also were obliged to take the name Abrahall. James Hoskyns-Abrahall (1728-86) may have lived at Ingestone, but his brother and successor, the Rev. John Hoskyns-Abrahall (1729-1805), who was rector of Compton Martin in Somerset, did not, and it was probably at this time that the ageing Jacobean house slipped into tenant occupation and began to deteriorate. John was succeeded by his eldest son, the Rev. John Hoskyns-Abrahall (1773-1840), who held a succession of curacies in Somerset and was also non-resident. He sold the estate in 1826 to Alexander Baring, later 1st Baron Ashburton, who took down the old house and replaced it with the present smaller and more informal house, which was perhaps better suited to the needs of his tenants.


Ingestone House, Foy, Herefordshire




Ingestone House, Foy: the house of 1616 as recorded in a 19th century engraving.
Ingestone House occupies a site almost entirely surrounded by a great meander of the River Wye. In 1616, John Abrahall (c.1570-1640) appears to have invested the proceeds of a legacy from his maternal grandfather in building a new house here to replace the family's old fortified manor house of Eaton Tregoze across the river. Ingestone House, which replaced an earlier farmstead, was assessed on nine hearths in 1664, and was later described as a 'spacious brick mansion'. As recorded in a 19th century engraving, the new house was a two-storey E-plan building with gables and dormers in the attics. The cross-wings had two-storey canted oriel windows that were corbelled out from the wall below the ground floor lights. The gabled central porch was nearly as tall as the cross-wings and the facade was given unusually complex planes by the insertion of narrower gabled bays in the angles between the hall range and cross-wings that projected less than the wings and porch. A large mullioned and transomed window to the right of the porch presumably indicates the position of the hall, so the right-hand wing will have been the parlour wing and the left hand side of the house the service end. At some point in the late 17th or early 18th century a formal garden was laid out around the house, of which some earthworks can be detected on aerial photographs.

Ingestone House, Foy: the house as rebuilt by the Baring family in 1835.

The Jacobean house was presumably in poor condition by the early 19th century, and it was taken down and replaced by the present building in 1835. It was presumably built to be the residence of a gentleman farmer, renting the estate from the Barings (later Lords Ashburton), who were much more grandly accommodated elsewhere. It is a plain stone house with a regular front overlooking the meadows down to the river but a rambling and irregularly fenestrated entrance front. Inside, the house is more prepossessing, with several well-proportioned rooms that have plaster cornices and good fireplaces (which may not be original). A simple staircase with stick balusters rises to a landing with a simple decorative plaster ceiling. The house has recently been for sale.

Descent: John Abrahall (c.1570-1640); to half-brother, Gilbert Abrahall (b. c.1576); to son, Maj. John Abrahall (d. 1679); to son, John Abrahall (d. 1703); to son, Markey Abrahall (1684-1716); to sister Mary (1682-1718), wife of Gilbert Abrahall (1670-1723) of Ross; to daughter Benedicta Abrahall (1718-25); to aunt Benedicta (1683-1742), wife of John Abrahall (d. 1734); to cousin, Percival Lloyd (later Lloyd-Abrahall); lost after a legal case in 1754 to Rev. John Hoskyns (later Hoskyns-Abrahall) (1692-1765); to son James Hoskyns (later Hoskyns-Abrahall) (1728-86); to brother, Rev. John Hoskyns (later Hoskyns-Abrahall) (1729-1805); to son, Rev. John Hoskyns-Abrahall (1773-1840); who sold 1826 to Alexander Baring (1774-1848), 1st Baron Ashburton; to son, William Bingham Baring (1799-1864), 2nd Baron Ashburton; to brother, Francis Baring (1800-68), 3rd Baron Ashburton; to son, Alexander Hugh Baring (1835-89), 4th Baron Ashburton...


Abrahall family of Ingestone House



Abrahall, John (d. 1592) of Eaton Tregoze. Eldest son of John Abrahall (fl. 1544) of Eaton Tregoze and his wife Anne, daughter of Watkin Vaughan of Hargest. High Sheriff of Herefordshire, 1573. He married Blanche, daughter of Thomas Walwyn of Hellens, Much Marcle (Herefs), and had issue:
(1) John Abrahall (c.1546-1621) (q.v.);
(2) Edmund Abrahall;
(3) Sibyl Abrahall; married Rowland Hunt (d. 1608) of Hereford;
(4) Anne Abrahall; married Philip Morgan;
(5) Elynor Abrahall; probably died unmarried;
(6) Margaret Abrahall; probably died unmarried.
He inherited Eaton Tregoze from his father.
He died 31 December 1592; an inquisition post mortem was held 35 Eliz I. His wife's date of death is unknown.

Abrahall, John (c.1546-1621). Elder son of John Abrahall (d. 1592) of Eaton Tregoze and his wife Blanche, daughter of Thomas Walwyn of Hellens, Much Marcle (Herefs), born before 1547. He married 1st, c.1568, Frances, daughter of Sir Thomas Parry of Hampstead Marshall (Berks); and 2nd, 28 September 1572 at Lillingston Dayrell (Berks), Dorothy (c.1550-1618), daughter of Paul Dayrell of Lillingston Dayrell, and had issue:
(1.1) John Abrahall (c.1570-1640) (q.v.);
(2.1) Henry Abrahall (b. 1573), born 7 November 1573; married, 26 May 1615 at Brampton Abbots (Herefs), Margaret (d. 1642), daughter of James Collins of Foy, and had issue one son and one daughter;
(2.2) Paul Abrahall (c.1574-1654) of Eaton Tregoze; married* Jane [surname unknown] (d. 1622) and had issue one son (John Abrahall, (1622-before 1654); buried 10 June 1654, aged 82; will proved in the PCC, 28 August 1654;
(2.3) Gilbert Abrahall (b. c.1576) (q.v.);
(2.4) Richard Abrahall (b. c.1582); married [forename unknown] Taci [Tracy?] (d. 1652) and had issue two sons, who were the eventual heirs to Paul Abrahall of Eaton Tregoze.
He inherited Eaton Tregoze from his father in 1592.  His eldest son having built Ingestone House, much of the estate was distributed among his younger sons, with Paul Abrahall inheriting Eaton Tregoze.
He was buried at Foy, 21 June 1621. His first wife died before 1572. His second wife was buried at Foy, March 1618.
* This may be identifiable with the marriage of Paul Abrahall and Joan Becket at Great Horwood (Bucks), 7 June 1620.

Abrahall, John (c.1570-1640). Only son of John Abrahall (c.1546-1621) of Eaton Tregoze and his first wife Frances, daughter of Sir Thomas Parry of Hampstead Marshall (Berks), born c.1570. JP for Herefordshire, 1625-40; High Sheriff of Herefordshire, 1634. He married, 1 December 1618, Elizabeth (d. 1638), daughter of Sir George Huntley, kt. of Frocester (Glos) and is usually said to have married 2nd, Dorothy, daughter of Francis Kyrle of Walford-on-Wye (Herefs), but the marriage of John Abrahall and Dorothy Kyrle* took place in 1645 and actually involved John Abrahall (b. 1622), son of Paul Abrahall (c.1574-1654). He had no issue.
He inherited a moiety of an estate at Hampstead Marshall (Berks) in 1616 under a settlement made by his maternal grandfather in 1615, but sold it in 1618; the sale probably provided the funds for the building of Ingestone House, begun in 1616. At his death Ingestone passed to his half-brother, Gilbert Abrahall (fl. 1640) (q.v.).
He was buried at Foy, 18 April 1640; his will was proved at Hereford. His wife was buried in 1638. 
* Dorothy Kyrle married 2nd, 1655, Sir Bennet Hoskyns (d. 1680), 1st bt, and it was through this tenuous connection that Sir Bennet's grandson, the Rev. John Hoskyns (1692-1765) (q.v.) succeeded to the estate after a legal dispute in 1754.

Abrahall, Gilbert (b. c.1576). Third son of John Abrahall (c.1546-1621) of Eaton Tregoze and his second wife, Dorothy, daughter of Paul Dayrell of Lillingston (Berks), born about 1576. He married and had issue:
(1) Maj. John Abrahall (d. 1679) (q.v.).
He inherited Ingestone House from his half-brother in 1640.
He died before 1654.

Abrahall, Maj. John (d. 1679). Only recorded son of Gilbert Abrahall (b. c.1576) of Ingestone House and his wife. An officer in the Royalist army (Maj.). He married, 25 January 1640/1, Mary Ash (d. 1701?), and had issue:
(1) Paul Abrahall; mentioned in the will of his uncle Paul, 1654; died in the lifetime of his father;
(2) John Abrahall (d. 1703) (q.v.);
(3) Richard Abrahall (d. 1706) of Holme Lacy, born before 1654; died March 1705/6; will proved at Hereford, 29 March 1706;
(4) Elizabeth Abrahall; mentioned in the will of her uncle Paul, 1654.
(5) Mary Abrahall (d. 1701); married James Collins (d. 1683) of Hill of Eaton, Foy (Herefs); buried 20 January 1701;
(6) George Abrahall (b. 1653), baptised 6 February 1653;
He inherited Ingestone House from his father.
He was buried 5 April 1679; administration of his goods was granted 2 May 1679. His wife may be the person of that name, wife of John Abrahall, commemorated by a floor slab at Foy, who died in 1701.

Abrahall, John (d. 1703). Eldest surviving son of Maj. John Abrahall (d. 1679) of Ingestone House and his wife Mary Ash, born before 1654. He married Winifred (d. 1684), daughter of William Markey of Alton Court, Ross-on-Wye (Herefs), and had issue:
(1) Mary Abrahall (1682-1718) (q.v.);
(2) Benedicta Abrahall (1683-1742) (q.v.)
(3) Markey Abrahall (1684-1716) (q.v.).
He inherited Ingestone House from his father in 1679. After his death it passed to his son, and then to his two daughters as co-heirs.
He died 23 March 1702/3 and was buried at Foy, where he is commemorated by a monument designed by Esau Osborne of Bristol which was erected by his younger daughter in 1736; his will was proved at Hereford, 5 April 1703. His wife was buried at Ross-on-Wye, 9 August 1684.

Abrahall, Markey (1684-1716). Only son of John Abrahall (d. 1703) of Ingestone House and his wife Winifred, daughter of William Markey of Alton Court, Ross-on-Wye (Herefs), baptised at Ross-on-Wye (Herefs), 1684. High Sheriff of Herefordshire, 1705; Freeman of Hereford, 1708. He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited Ingestone House from his father in 1703. At his death the estate passed to his sisters as co-heirs.
He died 16 January and was buried at Foy, 18 January 1715/6; his will was proved at Hereford, 4 June 1716.

Abrahall, Mary (1682-1718). Elder daughter of John Abrahall (d. 1703) of Ingestone House and his wife Winifred, daughter of William Markey of Alton Court, Ross-on-Wye (Herefs), baptised at Llangarren (Herefs), 18 March 1681/2. She attended the coronation of King George I in 1714, of which she left a description. She married, 5 October 1711 at Hampton Bishop (Herefs), Gilbert Abrahall (1670-1723) of Ross-on-Wye, a musician and page of the bedchamber at the court of Queen Anne, and had issue:
(1) John Abrahall (b. & d. 1713), baptised at St. Owen, Hereford, 12 January 1713; died in infancy, 19 January 1713;
(2) Anna Maria Abrahall (b. 1715), born 8 April and baptised at St Anne, Soho, London, 23 April 1715; died in infancy;
(3) Elizabeth Abrahall (b. 1716), baptised at St Anne, Soho, London, 15 January 1715/6; died in infancy;
(4) Benedicta Abrahall (1718-25), baptised at Foy, 17 October 1718; died young, 22 December 1725 and was buried at Ross-on-Wye, where she is commemorated by a monument erected in 1729 by her aunt.
She inherited a moiety of the Ingestone House estate from her brother in 1716; her share included the house. At her death she left her property to her husband and surviving daughter, with remainder to her sister Benedicta. Her will left scope for confusion over whether it should then pass to Benedicta's heirs or to the ultimate remainder man, her distant cousin, John Hoskyns (later Hoskyns-Abrahall), who obtained possession following a lawsuit in 1754.
She died in childbirth, October 1718; her will was proved at Hereford, 28 September 1721. Her husband died in 1723; his will was proved in the PCC, 20 February 1723/4.

Abrahall, Benedicta (1683-1742). Younger daughter of John Abrahall (d. 1703) of Ingestone House and his wife Winifred, daughter of William Markey of Alton Court, Ross-on-Wye (Herefs), baptised at Llangarren (Herefs), March 1682/3. She married 1st, 23 October 1704 at Hampton Bishop (Herefs), Rev. Oswald Andrews (1677-1717) of Hereford, and 2nd, 26 July 1725 at Foy, John Abrahall (d. 1734) of Cradock, but had no issue.
She inherited a moiety of the Ingestone estate on the death of her brother, and the other moiety on the death of her niece in 1725. She left her property at her death to her cousin, Percival Lloyd (later Lloyd-Abrahall), but in 1754 he lost the moiety including Ingestone House in a lawsuit brought by the Rev. John Hoskyns under the will of Mary Abrahall.
She died 25 November and was buried at Foy, 6 December 1742; her will was proved in the PCC, 19 February 1742/3. Her first husband was buried at St. Owen, Hereford, 21 March 1716/7; his will was proved 8 January 1717/8. Her second husband died in 1734.

Hoskyns (later Hoskyns-Abrahall), Rev. John (1692-1765). Younger son of Sir John Hoskyns* (1634-1705), 2nd bt. of Harewood (Herefs), and his wife Jane, daughter of Sir Gabriel Lowe of Newark Park, Ozleworth (Glos), born 1692. Educated at Jesus College, Oxford (matriculated 1709; BA 1712; MA 1715). Rector of Little Marcle (Herefs), 1722-65 and of Peterstow (Herefs), 1727-65. He took the name Hoskyns-Abrahall under the terms of the will of Mary Abrahall (d. 1718) on succeeding to her estate in 1754. He married, after June 1725, Anne (1703-37), daughter of Theophilus Leigh of Adlestrop Park (Glos), and had issue:
(1) James Hoskyns (later Hoskyns-Abrahall) (1728-86) (q.v.);
(2) Rev. John Hoskyns (later Hoskyns-Abrahall) (1729-1805) (q.v.);
(3) Jane Hoskyns (1730-1811), baptised 13 January 1729/30; died unmarried and was buried at Harewood, 29 June 1811;
(4) Anne Hoskyns (1732-75), baptised 29 March 1731/2; died unmarried; will proved in the PCC, 21 January 1775;
(5) Leigh Hoskyns (b. 1733), baptised 3 July 1733; educated at Jesus College, Oxford (matriculated 1752; BA 1756);
(6) Cassandra Hoskyns (d. 1795), died unmarried at Ross-on-Wye and was buried at Harewood (Herefs), 14 January 1795; will proved in the PCC, 6 May 1795;
(7) Tryphena Hoskyns (1735-1824), baptised 30 May 1735; lived at Bridstow (Herefs); died unmarried; administration of goods with will annexed granted 1 March 1824;
(8) Bennet Hoskyns (b. 1737), baptised at Peterstow, 21 November 1737; living in Aldersgate, London, 1777; probably dead by 1794.
He inherited a moiety of the Ingestone House estate, including the house, from his kinswoman Mary Abrahall (d. 1718), after a lawsuit in 1754.
He died 1 September 1765 and was buried at Harewood (Herefs), 4 September 1765; his will was proved in the PCC, 27 February 1766. His wife was buried at Peterstow, 10 November 1737, but her remains were removed to Harewood and reinterred with her husband, 4 September 1765.
* The Hoskyns family of Harewood Park will be the subject of a future post.

Hoskyns (later Hoskyns-Abrahall), James (1728-86). Elder son of Rev. John Hoskyns (later Hoskyns-Abrahall) of Ingestone House and his wife Anne, daughter of Theophilus Leigh of Adlestrop Park (Glos), baptised at Peterstow, 22 April 1728. Educated at Balliol College, Oxford (matriculated 1744). He took the additional name Abrahall in 1765. He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited Ingestone House from his father in 1765, and was probably the last member of the family to live there.
He died in 1786; his will was proved 21 March 1786 (effects under £1,000).

Hoskyns (later Hoskyns-Abrahall), Rev. John (1729-1805). Younger son of Rev. John Hoskyns (later Hoskyns-Abrahall) of Ingestone House and his wife Anne, daughter of Theophilus Leigh of Adlestrop Park (Glos), baptised at Peterstow, 25 May 1729. Educated at Jesus College, Oxford (matriculated 1746; BA 1750; MA 1753). Ordained deacon, 1752, and priest, 1753. Rector of Compton Martin, 1771-1805; prebendary of Hereford Cathedral, 1754-1805. He took the additional name Abrahall in 1786. He married, 7 February 1770 at Andover (Hants), Anne Cotton (c.1728-1800), and had issue:
(1) Augusta Rebecca Anne Hoskyns-Abrahall (c.1772-1815); married, 1 September 1797 at Compton Martin, Francis Bowcher Wright (d. 1840) of East Harptree (Somerset) (who m2, 1 May 1820 at Fordington (Dorset), Sarah Emily Bingham, widow), and had issue; buried at Compton Martin, 1 April 1815, aged 43;
(2) Rev. John Hoskyns-Abrahall (1773-1840) (q.v.).
He inherited Ingestone House from his brother in 1786.
He was buried at Compton Martin, 9 May 1805; his will was proved in the PCC, 2 November 1805. His wife was buried at Compton Martin, 19 December 1800, aged 72.

Hoskyns-Abrahall, Rev. John (1773-1840). Only recorded son of Rev. John Hoskyns-Abrahall (1729-1805) and his wife Anne Cotton, baptised 20 September 1773. Educated at Wadham College, Oxford (matriculated 1792; BA 1796). Ordained deacon, 1797 and priest, 1804. Curate of Compton Martin (Somerset), 1804-11 and Badgworth and Weare (both Somerset), 1811. He married, 22 November 1798 at Compton Martin, Maria (1777-1822), daughter of Rev. [forename unknown] Morgan and had issue:
(1) Rev. John Charles James Hoskyns-Abrahall (1800-76); educated at Wadham College, Oxford (matriculated 1817; scholar, 1819; BA 1824; MA 1826); ordained deacon, 1823 and priest, 1824; curate of Brightwell (Berks), 1823-26; Headmaster of King Edward's School, Bruton (Somerset), 1826-64; rector of Butterleigh (Devon), 1864-76; married, 1 January 1827 at Bruton, Jane (1802-34), daughter of Edward Dyne, solicitor, and had issue four sons and two daughters; died 26 February 1876; will proved 25 May 1876 (effects under £1,000);
(2) Theophilus Bennet Hoskyns-Abrahall (1802-74), born 21 March 1802; educated at Wadham College, Oxford (matriculated 1820; BA 1824; MA 1830) and Inner Temple (called to bar, 1830); barrister-at-law; Commissioner of the Court of Bankruptcy; author of The reform of the laws relating to Bankruptcy And Insolvency, 1861; married, 7 August 1849 at St Marylebone (Middx), Helena, daughter of Rev. Henry Kingsmill, and had issue two sons and four daughters; died at Exeter, 2 August 1874;
(3) Chandos Hoskyns-Abrahall (1806-74), born 31 March 1806; educated at Magdalen Hall, Oxford (matriculated 1829); poet; author of Arctic Enterprise, 1856; The career of Franklin, 1860; Rinaldo, 1863, and other works; married Hester [surname unknown] (c.1824-95?) and had issue two sons; buried at Farnborough (Kent), 4 October 1874;
(4) Maria Ann Hoskyns-Abrahall (1810-39), born 28 March 1810; married, 27 December 1838 at Bruton (Somerset), Rev. John Bradley Dyne DD (1809-99), Headmaster of Highgate School and Canon of St. Paul's Cathedral, London, son of Edward Dyne, solicitor, and had issue one son; died 16 November 1839;
(5) Charles Leigh Hoskyns-Abrahall (1812-68), born 6 September 1812; educated at the Middle Temple (admitted 1831); said to have emigrated to the West Indies; married, 20 May 1832 at St. Marylebone (Middx), Adeline Victorine Porther; died 26 February 1868.
He inherited Ingestone House from his father in 1805, but sold it in 1826.
He died in Bayswater (Middx), 10 October and was buried at Kensal Green Cemetery, 17 November 1840. His wife died 4 September and was buried at Badgworth, 9 September 1822.


Sources


C.J. Robinson, A history of the mansions and manors of Herefordshire, 1872, pp. 136-39; D. Whitehead, A survey of historic parks and gardens in Herefordshire, 2001, pp. 147-48, 223; http://www.bosci.net/lowv/Village%20pages%20-%20Foy.htm; http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1386-1421/member/abrahall-john-1389-1443


Location of archives


No substantial archive is known to survive.


Coat of arms


Abrahall of Eaton Tregoze and Ingestone: Azure, three hedgehogs (or porcupines) or.


Can you help?


Here are a few notes about information and images which would help to improve the account above. If you can help with any of these or with other additions or corrections, please use the contact form in the sidebar to get in touch.

  • I should be interested to hear from anyone with more definite information about the location of Eaton Tregoze, or any further information from descriptions or other sources about its appearance.
  • Does anyone know of any further illustrations of the Jacobean house at Ingestone, which may well have been sketched by tourists before it was demolished in 1835?
  • Can anyone provide information about the 20th century ownership history of Ingestone house?
  • The genealogy for the earlier generations of this family is sadly deficient, and I should be most grateful to hear from anyone who can additional information from original sources, or portraits of any of the owners of Ingestone House before 1824.



Revision and acknowledgements


This post was first published 5 June 2017.

1 comment:

  1. And I was so looking forward to the 'Bs". :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have any additional information or corrections to offer, or if you are able to help with additional images of the people or buildings in this post.